Collecting and being consumed by clutter on a grand scale is a relatively modern concept. Our ancient ancestors didnâ€™t have a supermarket at nearly every corner, malls and online shopping at every turn. When life was less complicated, there were not nearly as many ways to accumulate excess, the unwanted stuff we call â€œclutter.â€
InÂ feng shui, there’s a concept of energy flow and vitality known as â€œchi,â€ or â€œqiâ€. This life-force energy needs to move freely and in abundance in a space for it to promote heath, happiness and prosperity. Clutter creates an obstruction and stops that amazing flow.
Clutter can be found in an array of places, and can be cleared on many levels. Here are a few common causes of clutter:
- Clothes that donâ€™t fit, or that you donâ€™t like in your closet
- A refrigerator or pantry filled with expired foods or food that affects you negatively
- Books you donâ€™t want to read on the shelf
- Excess paper clutter in offices
- Email overwhelm and social media clutter of messages
- Purses, wallets
- Storage units, attics and garages
And the list goes on.
I could just suggest that you clear up your clutter â€” donate what you can, recycle, up-cycle, file, store or safely dispose of the rest â€” and a few of you will do it. Many of you wonâ€™t. It is a chore.